Friday, June 24, 2011

Where I've Been.

I have no idea how time manages to pass so quickly. Really. Where has the last month gone? So much has happened, and it's not slowing down anytime soon.

Did you guys know it's summer? Birthday party, baby shower, wedding, graduation season? Have I mentioned that a few million times? I keep being surprised that it's here. Perhaps the chilly, damp weather has made me forget about summer. But the activities happen, sun or not.

A few weeks ago, Elliot's job was cut. That's the big change I was talking about here.
The layoff came as quite a surprise and ended up changing our family dynamic quite a bit. We had some time and some cushion, so we spent a few weeks soaking up as much early-summer free-time together as we could.

In a way, I'm glad it happened. We got to spend the last few weeks of Little E's first year exploring parks, having picnics and visiting our favorite people. That'll make me smile forever.


Pleasantries of family life and fun aside, someone's gotta bring home the bacon. We toyed around with the idea of me going back to work full-time and him staying home with the baby. I signed on for my first 32-hour work week (I know! I'm a wimp! I'm out of practice and out of shape!) in over a year.

You guys. It was seriously hard. I've always given props to working parents--I know it's tough. But I had no idea how hard it would be to be away from my kid for 3/4 of her waking hours several days in a row. I'm whining, I know. I'm lucky to be able to spend as much time with her as I do. But I missed my baby.

Anyway. We decided that it just didn't feel right. Elliot wants to feel productive and needs to be out of the house, and I spend all day watching the clock and wanting to go home. He wasn't unemployed long--he's back to work next week and I'm back to being mama and doing the dang laundry (because dang, it got  a bit scary there for a while.)

It's been a whirlwind of a month, and we've got a wedding in three weeks. My family will start pouring in the week before the wedding and we'll be sucked up into shopping, entertaining, and obsessing about my hair. I can't wait to obsess about my hair. And I can't wait to see my mama.

Things are changing. My role in life is about to be redefined, again, and I'm looking forward to it very much. I'll be around here and there, but my head will be spinning. Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment